Often we only hear Scripture a few verses at a time. Would you like a better grasp on how all those pieces of the Old Testament fit together? Biblical scholar Andrew Davis maps out the main arc of the Old Testament narrative through an exploration of Creation, Covenant, Prophecy, and Kingship. Each week a Boston College faculty member enriches our discussion with a video response to Davis’s chapter.
This course has a required text: Andrew R. Davis. Exploring the Old Testament, Twenty-Third Publications, 2018.
- Getting Started Week - Introduction to the course
- Week 1 - Creation
- Week 2 - Covenant
- Week 3 - Prophecy
- Week 4 - Kingship
This course includes:
- Weekly introductions to each new topic;
- Video commentaries each week;
- Transcripts of the videos;
- Weekly questions for reflection and discussion; and
- A regularly updated Resources page for further study of topics discussed in this course.
All STM Online: Crossroads courses include these features
- Participants have access 24 hours/7 days a week to the course's password-protected web site.
- Each participant belongs to a small Community for Conversation and faith sharing guided by a facilitator.
- The course site is usually available to participants at least three months after the course has ended.
- An orientation in how to navigate the web site is always available.
- Technical assistance is easy to contact and prompt in returning a message.
- A Certificate of Active Participation is awarded to those who post at least three messages of substance for each week of content.
A participant can expect to spend an average of approximately 3-4 hours each week. This commitment includes both the assigned reading and interaction online.
Andrew R. Davis (text), associate professor of Old Testament; Richard J. Clifford, S.J., (video), professor emeritus of Old Testament; Michael Simone, S.J., (video), assistant professor of Old Testament; and Thomas D. Stegman, S.J., (video), professor of Old Testament; Boston College School of Theology and Ministry