In Evangelii Gaudium, Pope Francis calls us to embrace a vision of a Church that engages us in the joy of the Gospel. He suggests that such engagement can become an infectious invitation to those around us to join in this joy. Video segments featuring Jane E. Regan and Thomas H. Groome help us understand the continuity in the Catholic Tradition of the theme of evangelization, the meaning of “New Evangelization,” and some approaches to becoming an evangelizing community. Take this opportunity to read Pope Francis’s document and reflect on your own faith community as a local presence of Gospel joy in the 21st Century.
- Introductory Week
- Week 1: What is Evangelization?
- Week 2: Crisis of Commitment
- Week 3: Proclamation and Social Dimension of Religion
- Week 4: Social Dimension of Religion (cont’d) and Spirit-filled Evangelizers
- Weekly introductions to each new topic;
- Weekly videos, some exclusively available only in this course;
- Text transcripts of each featured video;
- Weekly questions for reflection and discussion;
- Resource page to use for further study;
All STM Online: Crossroads courses include these features
- Participants have access 24 hours/7 days a week to the course's password-protected web site.
- Each participant belongs to a small Community for Conversation and faith sharing guided by a facilitator.
- The course site is usually available to participants at least three months after the course has ended.
- An orientation in how to navigate the web site is always available.
- Technical assistance is easy to contact and prompt in returning a message.
- A Certificate of Active Participation is awarded to those who post at least three messages of substance for each week of content.
Additional Materials Needed
All materials provided in the course.
A participant can expect to spend an average of approximately 3-4 hours each week. This commitment includes both the assigned reading and interaction online.
- Pope Francis (text)
- Dr. Thomas H. Groome (video)
- Jane E. Regan (video)