Featuring videos with Fr. Kenneth Himes, O.F.M., and Sr. Barbara Quinn, R.S.C.J., this course lays out the social nature of the human person, explaining that Catholic Social Teaching is the Church’s conviction about the human dignity of every person, as well as stating the demands that this places on each of us if we are to honor and protect our human dignity.
These issues will be addressed in light of the practice of discernment which seeks to understand what God is like, what you are like at their your most authentic self, and how to find confidence that your decisions are in synch with what would make God happy, too?
"The source of the moral call is the foundational experience we have of the worth and value of persons. This is the basic data upon which ethical reflection begins." -Fr. Himes O.F.M.
- Getting Started Week: Introduction to the Course
- Week 1: What Prompts Moral Concern?
- Week 2: The Human Person as Sacred
- Week 3: The Human Person as Social
- Weekly introductions to each new topic
- Short videos for each week featuring Fr. Ken Himes and Sr. Barbara Quinn;
- Text transcripts of each featured video
- Weekly questions for reflection and discussion
- A page of further resources about topics discussed in this course
All STM Online: Crossroads courses include these features
- Participants have access 24 hours/7 days a week to the course's password-protected web site.
- Each participant belongs to a small Community for Conversation and faith sharing guided by a facilitator.
- The course site is usually available to participants at least three months after the course has ended.
- An orientation in how to navigate the web site is always available.
- Technical assistance is easy to contact and prompt in returning a message.
- A Certificate of Active Participation is awarded to those who post at least three messages of substance for each week of content.
Additional Materials Needed
All materials are included on the course site.
A participant can expect to spend an average of approximately 3-4 hours each week. This commitment includes both the assigned reading and interaction online.
Certificate Requirement Categories
- The Moral Life
- Fr. Kenneth Himes, O.F.M., (video) is professor of theological ethics at Boston College Department of Theology;
- Sr. Barbara Quinn, R.S.C.J., (video) is associate director of spiritual formation at the Boston College School of Theology and Ministry.