A course designed for members of teams who are involved in liturgy planning. It covers the basic structure of the Mass, tools for planning liturgies, and strategies for working together as a committee.
This course has a required text: James A. Mongelluzzo, Understanding the Liturgy: A Guide to How Catholics Worship. Twenty-Third Publications, 2018. (Digital text available)
Week 1: The Church's Vision for Liturgy
Week 2: Ritual and Symbol
Week 3: Liturgical Ministry, Time, and Space
Week 4: Liturgical Music and Popular Devotions
All STM Online: Crossroads courses include these features
- Participants have access 24 hours/7 days a week to the course's password-protected web site.
- Each participant belongs to a small Community for Conversation and faith sharing guided by a facilitator.
- The course site is usually available to participants at least three months after the course has ended.
- An orientation in how to navigate the web site is always available.
- Technical assistance is easy to contact and prompt in returning a message.
- A Certificate of Active Participation is awarded to those who post at least three messages of substance for each week of content.
A participant can expect to spend an average of approximately 3-4 hours each week. This commitment includes both the assigned reading and interaction online.
Certificate Requirement Categories
- Sacred Scripture
- Themes of Our Christian Tradition
Rev. Msgr. James A. Mongelluzzo, S.T.D., is a priest of the Diocese of Worcester, Massachusetts, and serves on the faculty at Pope St. John XXIII National Seminary.