What does it mean to live a life of faith? How can we be faithful followers of Jesus today? Guided by Thomas Stegman S.J.’s book Opening the Door of Faith, this course explores a rich Scriptural understanding of faith and discipleship by exploring Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, and Paul. To help us engage with the Scriptural texts, each week there is video commentary by a guest scholar.
This course has a required text: Thomas D. Stegman, S.J. Opening the Doors of Faith: Encountering Jesus and His Call to Discipleship. Paulist Press, 2015.
- Introductory Week
- Week 1: Matthew
- Week 2: Mark
- Week 3: Luke
- Week 4: John
- Week 5: Paul
This course includes:
- Weekly introductions to each new topic;
- Five videos;
- Text transcripts of each featured video;
- Weekly questions for reflection and discussion; and
- A regularly updated Resources page for further study of topics discussed in this course.
All STM Online: Crossroads courses include these features
- Participants have access 24 hours/7 days a week to the course's password-protected web site.
- Each participant belongs to a small Community for Conversation and faith sharing guided by a facilitator.
- The course site is usually available to participants at least three months after the course has ended.
- An orientation in how to navigate the web site is always available.
- Technical assistance is easy to contact and prompt in returning a message.
- A Certificate of Active Participation is awarded to those who post at least three messages of substance for each week of content.
A participant can expect to spend an average of approximately 3-4 hours each week. This commitment includes both the assigned reading and interaction online.
Certificate Requirement Categories
- Sacred Scripture
- Themes of Our Christian Tradition