What is spirituality? What is at the heart of prayer? Do we need community? What can suffering teach us? Join other adults in discussing these important questions and share best spiritual practices.
Week 1: What is Spirituality?
Week 2: What is Prayer?
Week 3: What Can Suffering Teach Us?
Week 4: Do I Need Community?
This course includes:
- Weekly introductions to each new topics;
- 4 videos featuring Fr. Michael J. Himes for each week of the course: spirituality, prayer, suffering, community;
- Text transcripts of each featured video;
- A bonus video featuring Father Michael J. Himes;
- Weekly questions for reflection and discussion; and
- A regularly updated Resources page for further study about topics discussed in this course.
All STM Online: Crossroads courses include these features
- Participants have access 24 hours/7 days a week to the course's password-protected web site.
- Each participant belongs to a small Community for Conversation and faith sharing guided by a facilitator.
- The course site is usually available to participants at least three months after the course has ended.
- An orientation in how to navigate the web site is always available.
- Technical assistance is easy to contact and prompt in returning a message.
- A Certificate of Active Participation is awarded to those who post at least three messages of substance for each week of content.
A participant can expect to spend an average of approximately 3-4 hours each week. This commitment includes both the assigned reading and interaction online.
Certificate Requirement Categories
- Spirituality and Prayer
- Themes from Our Christian Tradition
- Rev. Michael J. Himes, (video) priest of the Diocese of Brooklyn, New York, and professor of theology, Boston College Theology Department.
- Dolores Leckey, (text) senior fellow emerita at the Woodstock Theological Center, Georgetown University, and former executive director of the Secretariat for Family, Laity, Women, and Youth at the National Conference of Catholic Bishops.